Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Change the Equation

Ms.Menon – was my math teacher of standard V. I was not sure about my liking towards this subject till then - as because, I never scored more than 45% in the previous two standards. My parents, friends and teachers thought it was not my subject. But still core of my heart, I wanted to excel in that more that any. But I even didn't know how to do that and all around thought I can’t.
3rd period of the 1st day of standard V started at around 10 a.m. She started her session saying – “Maths is not about a few numbers and a few operations, it is a tool to solve mystery of the problem in hand!" The maths book by O.P.Singhal suddenly looked like one of the Nancy Drew series.It was knee-jerk reaction but the essence that the power speech left me with, lasted for ever .Thereafter I started looking into the subject more for problem statements and less of numeric operations. Till that day, I was probably missing a context to learn maths. Her speech connected the missing link. I hold some decent record in maths and my love for this subject is instrumental to how I earn my living even today.
She was a true maths teacher – first day first show she addressed a student who couldn't’ spell the problem in mind. The insight was too deep and I realized it with passing time. To me her speech was maths! She helped me solve a problem which I was struggling while others took it as my weakness.
Gyan 2One good mentor can turn an unsure mind to potential success ignoring weakness.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me of my school days. Mathematics was a big part of my school days. My record in school was just the opposite. I was an ordinary student in all the subjects except in maths. I used to always top the class in maths!
    At that age it was beyond my ability to understand that why people showered me with so much praise for scoring good marks in just one subject!!
    And I kind of loved this adulation and praise. And all those success was just because of the fact that my father was a brilliant mathematics teacher!
    Let me share a secret here. The first time I ever failed to score the highest in maths was in class 8 final examination. The guy who scored the highest marks from then on is today my best friend. He is now a doctor, very far away from the field of mathematics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Sandy - such a competitive beginning with a best friend!

    ReplyDelete