Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mid in the River

It was a school picnic at the barrage by the Damodar river. Around 70 bubbling teenagers – all girls, a few teachers and our vice-principal - a catholic nun, together made it. It was one of those chill winter morning in Durgapur that an enthusiastic bus started the day-out tour. We reached the spot, got set into multitude of activities. Most of it was on the bank which was sandy glittering with mica.
A population of that magnitude always has two or three dare devils that enjoy breaking the barrier. Ms. Shampa our class teacher, was struggling to manage them as they were desparate to try taste the water. Love for water is a strange one. Around noon the excitement had spread and almost the whole class was knee deep in water. They splashed water at each other encouraging the excitement to spread - All in pure fun!
My hydrophobic feelings probed me to look for a hiding place. Respecting my inner fear I stood behind Sister Pratibha whose vigilant pair of eyes were moving in the aqua arena to ensure she can trigger a SOS if needed. Stood by her and pretended to be very obedient.
I was caugth unaware. Not sure which direction she came from.Her long length school skirt was wet and water was drooping down her bare thin leg. Her feet were all smeared in sand and mica. She came at a speed I was unprepared for! Pulled my hands and overcame my resistance. She was taller than me and we ran.. ran.. My hand in hers, I could feel the cool fluid sweeping my feet. I was probably drowning more in fear than in the cold water of Damodar.
She kept pulling me and we both stepped on stones some visible and some by pure pedi-feeling. Oops; I felt like getting imbalanced – it was sand and stones no more. She supported me to adopt. The sense of fear had turned into a truth call survival. Suddenly looked around to realize there was no one at the length of my hand and I was standing mid of the river. With hope that Sister Pratibha was watching me out I madly retreated back on the sand with one or two traumatic stepping.
I rejoiced alone to have overcome my fear for a few minutes - that was my takeaway, while others enjoyed a carefree noon together in the river for long!
Gyan 3 – Many a times we all get the same environment but our self constraints make us react otherwise and obviously reap different results

2 comments:

  1. I agree..... Blog really explains very well about self constraint and comming out of it funda... I hope everyone should takeaway such things to improve in life and also should share to motivate others.

    Good Job!!!! Like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felt nice to see ur comments.I feel each us have so much to share and hence thought of having this blog dedicated for lessons from life.

    ReplyDelete