Sunday, September 19, 2010

Touch and Glow

With festive season in full swing with 'fresh and new' apparel , food, travel plans, every mind in my country is in upbeat mood. Count down has begun at Eastern India ...para lanes are gearing for Durga-Utsob. Apparel shops and beauty parlours are reaping money.
Late in the afternoon, the other day it was all by surprise when the door bell beeped, I opened to see an old time friend of my father at the door step. He was Dasgupta uncle for me. Meeting him after a while. Yes, he didn't look the same that I had in my mental record. Lost most of his hair and the remaining were grey, broken jaws suggested he had paid enough to dentist. As one grows old, meeting old time friends and refreshing old memories are probably the best gift one can have for oneself.

Unfortunately his friend was not at home and I tried my best to render a hospitality that my father would have offered. Have not listened to anyone for such long in recent past. His only son, who was Titas for us, is well settled in US - a dream that he had seen two decades back. He spoke of web cam , gtalk - that keeps him connected to his only son and grand kids. Life moves on and how quickly technology fits in our life-style.

I thought every thing was great till I heard him say - " It was 15 years back that Titas had step out for States to do his MS; it was two days before the Durga Puja celebration that year."

After a long monologue, he paused for a while. I could sense the correlation that he has between this season of festival and a deep feeling of detachment with his only son.

We had a cup of tea together. The evening was moving to dusk. It was time that he started for his home. I slipped in my chappals (home sandals) to take him down the steps from my third floor apartment to the car that was parked outside.

- "Nice car uncle!" , I remarked to make him happy as he moves on.

- "Titas gifted this three years back." He spoke of it an hour back , but must be feeling proud as a father to reiterate once more. I thought!

The engine was put on first gear and ready to roll when he unwind the glass pane and stretched his hand which provoked me to lend mine.

- "This evening was so fresh and new! Thank you for this wonderful gift.Felt like spending one with Titas. I would call your father sometime later." This was all he said, rest was communicated over the strong bonded hands of a lonely father desperately seeking connection with his next generation.

Gyan# 24 - Festival is all about being with near and dear ones - no celebration is beyond that.

2 comments:

  1. So touching....It is really true ...You really write well

    Veena

    ReplyDelete
  2. well penned ..... uprooted syndrome does not have any value in business world but it has lots of importance in our organic cells ...

    ReplyDelete