Monday, September 6, 2010

First Tryst with Failure

Do you know why failure is painted in red ? You thought I have an answer, not exactly. Probably failure pulls in more emotion than success , it is meant to trigger fear and panic. I wonder if the colour of failure is changed to green will it look glorious!

'Krishna Miss' - That is how we all called her. She was our standard three class teacher. She taught us how important it is to greet another when we first time meet in the morning, it essentially need not be in the beginning of the class by joining a loud chorus. It has become an integral part of life now, ever since have stepped out the boundary that made a classroom. What is the big deal? It is a natural progression - even if she had not taught , would have learnt from the system. You are correct, environment is our teacher.

Today I recalled her for next good thing that she taught and it was far more important. I was one of the last 5 to receive my report-card in the first terminal ( a quick start up exam conducted after three months of an academic session) exam of standard III. Quite a lot had changed in my status-co over the last 10 months till that day. My brother just got added to the census record of my country. I was more of a dotting sister than a student. My father got transferred to a department where he lived out of his suitcase. And to couple my trouble there was a brand new subject that got added to the syllabus named - 'History'. Honestly I didn't know about the last pointer as a trouble till I ...

These were all my building blocks to the report card that I had in hand with one of the score as 36, it was underlined and painted red. Eyes traversed horizontally left to see the subject was History. Rest report card looked as usual, only that somewhere in the bottom had a small letter alphabet again painted in red - f.
The color red made me feel there was something different in my report card. I slowly walked down the lanes and said - "Excuse me Krishna Miss."
She humbly said - "Yes."
I opened up my report card for clarity and asked her pin pointing the weird letter on it - " What is this f?"

Today I can feel what challenge I through her.

She hugged me and said - "You forgot to study History, that is a reminder."

I thought that f was that easy. Well I knew what is was only when my mother had to give her autograph to endorse that she is appraised of my performance. Krishna Miss was so open to Hug a failure ! Only a good teacher can embrace a failure to erode fear..and focus on what went wrong more than why?
Salute to all TEACHERS who taught us how to accept failures gracefully.

Gyan 23# - Failure ensures you learn to focus right!

5 comments:

  1. Nice post!

    Btw, history was always one of my most favorite subjects. To add to that, I didn't like Maths till I was in eighth standard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely penned ...

    Failure in Report card is more easier to correct but Failure in Life ... brings more maturity if U accept it at right time ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You r correct! The other day I was reading the book 'The Diamond in U' in which SKR chips in to say his father was a successful failure. He speaks on how he is weighs the fear of failure more than joy of success. Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geek - Watch out for my blog sequel to follow on History.. in next 1 -2 series..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one...The f was a very touching story...

    Veena

    ReplyDelete