Sunday, November 8, 2015

Giving Away


Festive Greetings!  

Well, this is no article to protest nor patronize the “award giving away” debate that is making rounds. Actually am no one eligible J. Guess you need an award gallery to be in the league for expressing such viewpoints. But thank you for the whelming appreciation that you pampered me with for my recent publication named Safety Pin. That is more than any award, to me. I am grateful. It is a different season that I am enjoying this autumn, which is warmer than usual, this year.

While the festive euphoria is still on, today was one such day that I stepped into kitchen to cook something special. Barren play grounds and apartment rooftops gearing up to host the firework shows. While the curry was boiling some names that spot fired in mind are flickering fuljhuri, unpredictable chorki, colourful rang-mashal, noisy chocolate bomb and gushing tubri. There was an annoying rocket too!! They still exist in some form and shape at prices pacing with inflation, sprinkling splinter on the floor, in the garden or up in the air.

Conscious parents still bargain and adventurous kids want it all. The routine of school exam following the short festive vacation continues. I just hope tender minds don’t give away the art of being unmindful. That is where the dream of life begins. Amidst the celebration we too were pushed to prepare for the exams. With an open economics book on the table, in broad day light mind waited for the darkness of night to step in. I could read the mind of the next door friend who would be equally unmindful about the history book in front. We were competitively aligned. The night stood as an epitome of power display turning into ashes. With the fall of night thousands of candles lit the neighbouring houses. And then one sparkle followed the other.

We competed till we exhausted. Resourceful fueled the celebration for rest of the evening. Each year new gimmicks added to the glitter. The haves competed and have-nots kept an eye on the sky to get some pleasure for free. The un-burnt sulphur (the chemical formulas may pose challenge for me) that piled up in the inventory box after the festival of light was over, waited for the evening of Bhai Dhuj to be fired. The rift that would have brewed over the share of power on the Diwali evening drowned in the fatty oil of mutton curry served as special ‘Bhai-Phota’ lunch.

As the pages from the album moved today’s recipe was done. Cook time was over, busy garnishing and wondering how better job and lifestyle opportunities have pushed family and friends to explore the book of 34 pages – we called atlas. The school bag had so many books that appeared disconnected then, over time realized they all were wired for the big picture. Today I sit with the digital pane open for global celebration to be clicked and posted. I watch it absolutely FREE. The sparkles ushering around the world will fall on the window I hold on very dear. On the face of it I know they will look so encouraging. But I can hardly read what is in their mind. Is happiness as plenty as I see on the virtual play boards?

These days I tend to be more mindful of social, political, public and private space I share in my universe. Often consciously trying to be unmindful as that is where life thrives basking in ignorance. Here is giving away a pie of my conscious mind to free up space to dream once more to touch the oyster of creation breaking the pains of real world.


Wishing you all a Happy Diwali! 

No comments:

Post a Comment